Monday, August 29, 2011

Performing Surgery

Yesterday I finished my first round of edits for MIDDLE GROUND, and promptly celebrated with a beer at Flat Tail Brewery. How would I describe this book? Intense. Will I give you a sneak peak into the story? Sure. Here are ten words in the book (in this draft, anyway):

Chickens
Sandboarding
Mewling (love that word)
Detox (is that technically a word?)
Anonymous
Scrubs
Cacophony
Ninja
Precarious
Equinox

Have I peaked your curiosity? Now you're going to agonize over how chickens will play a role in this book and let me tell you, they play a HUGE roll.

Can I just say that rewriting is beautiful and wonderful and challenging and painful all at the same time? It's like performing open heart surgery on my characters (and I'm not the most delicate surgeon). There is so much to cut, rework, reconnect, disconnect, clean, swab...and great material can come out of it (fingers crossed). Each word is like a blood vessel, the sentences are veins, the paragraphs are arteries, the chapters are organs. It's bloody intense.

I'm sure I'll have about ten more drafts to go before I'm completely satisfied, but the major surgery is out of the way. Hopefully it's just some nips and tucks after this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Character X is reheating chicken from the day before because he/she is famished after sandboarding at Superstition OHV Park. He/she hears the new kitten mewling and start to get a headache. He/she wants to take some tynenol, but remembers her/his mom threw them out since she on a detox diet and doesn't want anything but herbal pills around the house. The phone rings, listing the call as Anonymous which means it's probably a telemarketer and doesn't answer it. He/she puts on the TV and Scrubs is on. He/she suddenly hears a cacophony of sounds from upstairs and goes up to inspect. He/she should of know it was his/her brother playing that stupid ninja game again and disturbs him at a precarious moment, almost causing him to lose. Since he is not going to turn it down, he/she goes downtairs to turn the TV off and puts headphones on. He/she sets it to shuffle and Meet Me on the Equinox by Death Cab for Cutie comes on.

Just did that for fun. All I really wanted to say was good luck with drafting :-)

Anonymous said...

Hm... Those words don't really tell you much. But still cool!! I'm really (really really really) excited for Middle Ground.
Do you have a release date set yet? (unless you posted it and i missed it... )
:D