Thursday, November 8, 2007

Legally Blind

I have really bad eyesight (I think I'm legally blind) so I have to wear glasses. But something I love doing is taking my glasses off at night and driving around. I probably shouldn't confess this to the Oregon DMV when I apply for my license here.

Things look so majestic with blurred vision. Green, red and yellow traffic lights look like glowing fuzzy cotton balls suspended in mid-air. Street signs become floating canvases of light. Headlights shoot by me like comets. I follow a black asphalt abyss because I can’t see the lines or boundaries. Everything is soft, muted, smoothed over. I don't know what the point of this entry is. Maybe it's to encourage all of us to embrace our imperfections because what we lack in some areas creates beauty in others. I think it's by distorting the obvious that you see the incredible. I also hope I don’t drive off the road in these circumstances.

No comments: